Bowl or small bucket
Fermenting vessel it’s best to use a 1 gallon/4.5 litre fermenter.
Sieve and colander
Method (makes approx 4.5 litres):
- Sterilise all equipment thoroughly.
- Put the fruit in a bowl and mash, then pour 4 litres of boiling water over the fruit, cover loosely and leave overnight.
- Strain the liquid through a colander and then a sieve onto the sugar and stir to dissolve. You don’t have to get all the bits out at this stage. (This can be done in a bucket/fermenter)
- Add super wine yeast sachet, leave to ferment for 7 days between 20 and 25 degrees C.
- After this is complete stir and leave for 1 hour then transfer to a secondary fermenter, using a sieve to remove most of the bits. (You could put it back in your original clean bowl/bucket wash out your fermenter and put it back again.)
- Then leave in a dark place at a slightly lower temperature of 18 degrees C for one month.
- Syphon into into another fermenter and leave for a further 4 months.
- Transfer into bottles and leave for 3 months for the flavour to develop. Waiting is the worst part!
- Just a little tip, if there is any jelly left at the bottom of the bottles this goes really well with ice cream!